Your Group on Cable 8
Would you like to highlight the ongoing activities at your church, non-profit or performing group? Public access television is a low-cost, effective venue that allows your organization a 28 minute timeslot to do just that. You can participate weekly and have a regular series show, or you can submit on a less frequent basis.
Our mission is to provide the means and promote the opportunity for YOU to create local cable television programming for our community.
If you are a resident of the City of Greensboro or Guilford County, you are eligible to air programming on Greensboro Community Television, Cable 8. The process is fairly easy. First, attend Orientation (see below) and then become a Member.
Once you have fulfilled both of these requirements you can begin submitting your program at any time.
Any Guilford County resident who wishes to cablecast a program on Cable 8, or wishes to train to use Cable 8’s equipment MUST attend an Orientation session. Each session takes about an hour, and includes Cable 8’s technical guidelines, basic rules and procedures, and a question and answer session. The session ends with a short quiz.
All sessions are held at the Greensboro Cultural Center, normally on the first Tuesday of every other month (January, March, May, July. September, November) and begin promptly at 6:00 pm. There will be no late admittance once the session has begun. Please call Cable 8 (336-373-1100) with your questions or to check schedules.
Cable 8, Greensboro Community Television, has established a membership policy to defray a portion of the costs of operating the facility. All individuals and organizations wishing to submit programs for cablecast must become a Member.
Members must be residents of Guilford County, North Carolina and be at least 18 years of age. Each person wishing to become a Cable 8 Member must attend an Orientation Session and pass a brief written test.
Membership Fee: $100.00 (Orientation is required first)
This fee allows you to submit programs to be cablecast on Greensboro Community Television, gives the member eligibility for a series contract, as well as the option of class enrollment and equipment use once certified on the equipment (class fees are not included in the membership fee).
If you have any questions regarding membership, feel free to contact us for more information.
Each program turned in for cablecast at Cable 8 must meet the following guidelines:
- Each program must be on a DVD. We accept DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. No other formats will be accepted.
- Only one program per disc.
- You must use a full-size jewel case to submit your program–no slimline cases. No disc will be accepted without a case.
- You must label your disc and your case with the name of your program, the running time of your program, your name and phone number. NO discs will be accepted with any type of applied label, either paper or plastic. They will cause our playback machines to malfunction. You may write your information on your disc with a disc marker or permanent marker without harm to the disc or our machines.
- Cable 8 require 5 seconds of black before your program is to begin.
- We require 10 seconds of black at the end of your program.
- Cable 8 has found that DVD’s recorded in burners that record at speeds greater than 8x may produce DVD’s that hang up during playback. We recommend that you burn your programs at 1x. This does take a bit longer, but gives you a more reliable disc.